• Falls Center: Image 1
  • Falls Center: Image 2
  • Falls Center: Image 3
  • Falls Center: Image 4
Previous item Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 Item 4 Next item

Falls Center

Jewett Brothers and Jewett Wholesale Grocers built this four-story warehouse in 1899 and expanded in 1909. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Courthouse and Warehouse Historic District in 1983. In 1992 the building was restored and adapted by Koch Hazard Architects to accommodate a variety of office and retail uses, including Koch Hazard's offices located on the second floor. The quartzite first story of the building acts as a base for the upper stories of brick. Large semi-circular windows at the fourth story form the tops of a series of three-story brick arches which adorn the east and north sides of the building. The parapet consists of highly detailed brick work in a checkered pattern corbelling out from the face of the building. The building interior structure consists of large wood columns and beams with 3" X 14" wood joists supporting 3" thick wood floors. Large windows allow generous light into the interior spaces. Falls Center is the recipient of two AIA South Dakota Honor Awards and a Mayor's Award for Historic Preservation.

Hear The Story
431 N Phillips Ave
Sioux Falls, SD
Map It
Koch Hazard Why Architecture Matters

© 2011 Koch Hazard Visit KochHazard.com