• Minnehaha County Courthouse: Image 1
  • Minnehaha County Courthouse: Image 2
Previous item Item 1 Item 2 Next item

Minnehaha County Courthouse

Originally constructed in 1893, the first Minnehaha County Courthouse was designed by prominent local architect Wallace Dow. The building is constructed of native Sioux Quartzite stone, and interior features include slate stairs, granite pillars, stained glass windows, and tiled fireplaces. Perhaps one of the most striking features of the building are the 16 large murals on the walls of the hallways painted between 1915 and 1917 by Norwegian immigrant Ole Running, detailing early life in South Dakota, natural features, and images of his home in Norway. The courthouse was used for county business until 1962, when it became too small for court and administrative activities. A new courthouse was built to the west of the original and the Old Courthouse was slated for demolition to make room for a parking lot. Concerned citizens campaigned to save the Old Courthouse and in 1974 they were successful. The building was converted to a museum and joined with the Pettigrew Home and Museum to become the Siouxland Heritage Museums.

Hear The Story
200 W 6th St
Sioux Falls, SD
Map It
Koch Hazard Why Architecture Matters

© 2011 Koch Hazard Visit KochHazard.com