• United States Courthouse: Image 1
  • United States Courthouse: Image 2
  • United States Courthouse: Image 3
Previous item Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 Next item

United States Courthouse

The monumental romanesque U.S. Courthouse embodied and validated the federal government's faith in westward expansion. The U.S. Government purchased a two-lot parcel dedicated to the construction of a Federal building in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, on July 22, 1891. South Dakota's first senator, Richard Pettigrew, introduced a bill to fund the structure, recommending that native Sioux quartzite be used for its construction. W.J. Edbrooke, Supervising Architect of the Treasury and architect for the original portion of the building, designed it to house a post office on the entry level and a courthouse on the second floor. Originally constructed between 1892 and 1895, the building was expanded in 1911 and again in 1931. Since its construction, the federal building has been a landmark in the downtown area, where it occupies half of a city block. In May 1995, a Centennial Observance of the building was held to celebrate 100 years of service to the federal government. During the celebration, the building was rededicated and a historical marker, provided by the Minnehaha County Historical Society, was unveiled. At the same time, the building was officially renamed the U.S. Courthouse. Historic memorabilia, photographs, and art are displayed throughout the building.

Hear The Story
424 S Phillips Ave
Sioux Falls, SD
Map It
Koch Hazard Why Architecture Matters

© 2011 Koch Hazard Visit KochHazard.com